Adolescence is considered to be the very special period of human life cycle. It is that phase of transition during which boys and girls move from childhood to adulthood- mentally, emotionally physically and socially.
The stage of adolescence is quite remarkable from the point of view of the physical development as well as emotional/harmonal. Adolescence is the most beautiful time in a women's life but the harmonal changes can be sometimes very frustrated also! We deals with Issues related to Common problems encountered
- BODY IMAGE-UNDERWIEGHT /OBESITY/EXCESS HAIRS ON FACE/PCOD
- KNOW YOUR BODY
- SEXUAL ABUSE
- SUCIDAL TENDENCY
BODY IMAGE-UNDERWIEGHT /OBESITY/EXCESS HAIRS ON FACE/PCOD: Good nutrition is critical during the teenage years to ensure healthy growth and development. A healthy diet must meet the changing nutritional needs of a growing teenager.
Say YES to:
- Milk & Milk products (Curd, Panneer)
- Green Vegetables, Fruits, Cereals
- Soups, Juices
- Regular Meals
- Balanced Diet
Reduce carbohydrate to only 40% of total calories - (130gms/d), 3 main meals / 3 snacks, 1500 - 1600 calories /day
NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST / MEALS
Eat breakfast within 2 hrs of waking up. During sleep body is in fasting state where there is poor glucose / insulin metabolism – if prolonged there will be poor metabolism of glucose causing wt. gain. EXERCISE 30 MINUTES EVERYDAY
EXERCISE: Choose an outdoor game as hobby e.g. badminton, Football, Volley Ball etc.
- Always get involved in school sports.
- Don’t skip dancing classes for tuitions.
- Cycling, Swimming, Jogging, Brisk Walking helps you to maintain fitness.
- Walk up stairs – Avoid elevator
- Walk – Avoid Bus, Car
- Swimming – ideal exercise
- Playing ball – soft ball / Kick ball
Know your body:
- AICOG normal menstruation: 11 to 14 Yrs Normal cycle: 21 to 45 days Normal length: < 7 days
- It can take 2 to 3 yrs from a girl's first period for her body to develop a regular cycle
- During that time, the body is essentially adjusting to the influx of hormones unleashed by puberty.
- What's "regular" varies from person to person.
- The typical cycle of an adult female is 28 days, although some are as short as 21 days and others are as long as 35.
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) has a wide variety of symptoms - mood swings, tender breasts, food cravings, fatigue, irritability and depression.
- Avoid junk foods, salty food, caffeine and artificial sweeteners.
- Sleep enough, drink enough water, and reduce stress
- Dysmenorrhea (Painful Periods)
- Scanty / Profuse bleeding
Counseling and treatment: PCOD and ANDROGENIC FEATURES
- Anaemia is the state in which there is a decreased production of red blood cells or a decreased concentration of haemoglobin in the cells.
- Result: Decreased oxygen carrying capacity.
- Know your hemoglobin level by simple blood test. +2 STUDENTS should have 12 gm Hb
- 7 out of 10 girls may be anaemic during teen age years. It is that common!
- Do you suffer from any of the following?
- Lack of concentration (Poor performance at studies)
- Hair Loss
IT CAN BE DUE TO ANEMIA
- Poor dietary habits?/li>
- Some diseases may also cause anaemia
- Are you losing excess blood from your body?
- Passing clots/menses for >7days
- Black stools/red urine in some diseases
- Anal itching/postprandial hurry could be worms Deworming tablets.
Cure it immediately
- Take bath daily
- Wash your hands before eating - Must
- Wash your hands with soap after defecation
- Wash your private parts with water after urination
- Keep your inner garments clean
- Change your napkins every 6 hours menstrual hygiene is very important
Cure it immediately
Emotional Changes: Transition from childhood to adult
- Mood changes…irresponsible, stubborn
- Search for identity and sexual development create sense of crisis
Its normal and natural
Smoking, drinking, drugs
- Smoking is an evil which is best avoided It can cause cancers, heart disease, early death.
- Avoid alcohol intake.
- Drugs are like taking poison – stay away
SPIRITUALITY: Unless we develop the spiritual side of our nature, society cannot combat the evils that plague society – wanton cruelty, corruption, violence, poverty, injustice, oppression of the weak, sexual abuse, terrorism and war… the list goes on.
Morality, justice, truthfulness, love, sacrifice for the common good, peace and discipline. Honesty, tolerance and care for the challenged – Need of the hour
- An important aspect of spirituality
- Spiritual empowerment comes through prayer, self-less service to mankind; serving one’s parents, to be loving, keeping our self and our ego in disciplined check, courteous and humility, firmly upholding the principle of justice, being self-less or detached etc.
- Being humane to fellow beings
- These qualities come through the love of God.
Vaccines for young girls: Vaccine to prevent
- Rubella infection (thereby avoiding birth of a child with defect)
- 10,00,000 + birth per year..having congenital defect (INDIA)
- Heart defects
- Mental retardation
- 21% due to Rubella
Cervical Cancer: Cancer vaccine for Young Girls
- HPV Vaccine – to fight against virus called Human Papilloma Virus
- HPV infection usually occurs due to sexual exposure & contribute 99.7% of total cases of cancer of cervix (lower most part of uterus)
- In India: ~27% deaths worldwide is due to Cancer cervix
- Higher prevalence & death than any other cancer in India amongst the women which is on the increase
SAFETY TIPS: Learn to Say-NO
- Situations in life will need you make a decision
- Try to follow your mind more than your heart
- Never say YES when you actually want to say NO
- Learn to politely refuse (and give reason if needed…)
- Differentiate GOOD & BAD TOUCH
- Is when someone touches your private parts in a sexual way ,your body is private ,you can ask them to stop.
- Someone makes you touch him or her.
- Someone takes pictures of your private parts.
STD (sexually transmitted diseases)
- STDs are dangerous
- Occurs only after Sexual contact with infected partner
- An infected person may not have visible signs
- Definite illness cannot be predicted Prevention is better than cure!
- AVOID STRESS
- BE FRIENDLY WITH YOUR PARENTS
- DICUSS WITH TEACHERS/ PARENTS about your personal problem rather than friends
- Don’t decide anything in Anger and Depression
- Adolescent Pregnancy & abortion produce serious complications
- Explain how pregnancy occurs in which situation